Employment Opportunity: Administrator
Job Title: Administrator
Work Week: Tuesday-Friday (20 hours per week)
Application deadline: Friday, November 24 by 5:00 pm
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject “Administrator Application.”
About Open Space Arts Society: Founded 1972 as an artist-run centre. Open Space has an extensive history of innovative art projects, performances, media arts, screenings, readings, community discussions, and concerts. Open Space publishes, provides entry-level professional experience, and partners with many organizations through Vancouver Island. It has a robust Indigenous arts program.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Administrator will professionalize and streamline information management, financial and statistical recordkeeping, member and donor services, and correspondence at Open Space. The position requires a strong awareness and understanding of the operating of small non-for-profits. The right candidate will work in a small office with four other people.
1. Information Management: Maintains digital and hardcopy files for programming, administration, facility, and the board of directors meetings as well as archival documents. Prepares correspondence, contracts and reports, and compiles statistics. Maintains databases and is capable of developing standardized forms, financial links, and shared calendars. Enters staff hours accurately and maintain confidential HR files to assist in Payroll records. Updates Open Space procedures manuals. Ensures that all Board records filed, maintained, and archived. Ensure that all shared drive records are filed, maintained, and archived.
2. Financial: Monitors operating budgets and project budgets in conversation with the Executive Director. Codes invoices, deposits cash, and mails payments. Manages petty cash. Prepares basic operating budgets and compiles expense reports. Prepares bi-weekly financial package for bookkeeper, Treasurer, and Executive Director. Facilitates Payroll on a bi-weekly basis.
3. Membership, Donors, and Fundraising: Works with Executive Director to build membership. The Administrator maintains membership correspondence, donor database, prepares charitable receipts, and assists with fund development and fundraising efforts such as annual campaign letters. Assists fundraising contract personnel as assigned. Participates in Open Space fundraising activities.
4. Grant Writing: Assists the Executive Director with grant applications (compiling statistical information, support material, assistance with project budgets). Compiles and organizes final reports for operating grants following funder guidelines. Copy-editing and grant writing as necessary.
5. Reception: Answers phones, manages voicemail, opens and directs mail, e-mails, updates Google calendar and Google Drive.
6. Meetings: Notifies members and advertises Open Space Annual General Meeting; understands the by-laws affecting the Annual General Meeting and its significance. Schedules board meetings, assembling and distributing meeting materials, and may record minutes at board meetings. Filing submission proposals and distributing to program committee.
7. Other duties: As assigned to assist the Executive Director.
Qualifications: Highly developed organizational skills, excellent written and verbal communication ability, and the ability to work independently. Knowledge of standard office procedures, business communication, and basic bookkeeping is a priority. Word processing is required. Open Space requires flexibility and a willingness to engage with a variety of people and ideas in a changing, deadline-driven working culture. The ideal Administrator is detail oriented with experience in proactive problem solving with 2-3 years experience in a related environment and/or position. Position demands confidentiality, judgment, and responsibility.
Software Skills: Proven facility with Microsoft Office (especially Word and Excel), relational database software, Google Drive, accounting software (CheckMark by Multiledgers, QuickBooks), and familiarity with payroll software. Open Space is a Macintosh work environment.
Applications are welcomed from all qualified applicants including women, visible minorities, trans and queer persons, people of Indigenous ancestry, and persons with disabilities. Open Space is not wheelchair accessible.
Note: Testing may be required during the interview process. Testing is based on the knowledge, skills, abilities and qualifications outlined in the job description.
Application Deadline: Friday, November 24 by 5:00 pm
Interviews: November 28-30
Anticipated Start Date: Tuesday, December 5