In 2009, Open Space Arts Society adopted values and operating principles in the following three areas:
Open Space encourages artistic excellence and exploration by
- supporting investigative, experimental projects in all artistic disciplines;
- recognizing risk-taking as a component of excellence;
- securing funding through grants, self-generated funds, and creative funding models.
Open Space invites engagement in the contemporary arts by
- participating in local, national, and international social and cultural contexts;
- offering financially accessible programs;
- stimulating critical exchange, dialogue, and debate;
- supporting freedom of expression;
- providing opportunities for creative development for audience members and artists.
Open Space practices integrity and professionalism in its activities by
- communicating transparently and honestly;
- acting with respect and trust in all relationships;
- advocating for artists and the arts;
- acknowledging the contributions of volunteers;
- governing with a visible and active board;
- providing the major contemporary arts centre in the region.